Sunday, November 15, 2015

MythTV on the New Apple TV

For years I have wished there was an App Store for the Apple TV. Like most people, I looked forward to things like games or streaming video content beyond the limited offerings bundled with previous version of the Apple TV. I also wanted something else: a MythTV Frontend.

MythTV is an open source project that helps you build your own digital video recorder (DVR). MythTV has a client/server architecture, called Frontend/Backend respectively. Ideally the Backend lives in a wiring closet or server room. A Frontend is attached to each television and plays content stored on the backend.

A MythTV Backend is fairly easy to set up with PC or Mac hardware and a networked television tuner such as HDHomeRun. A MythTV Frontend is more challenging to set up. It usually involves finding hardware that supports video decoding and has proper Linux support. You also need an IR receiver and a remote. Configuring the IR commands can be challenging. I used to tell people that MythTV is more of a hobby than a solution.

That all changed with the new Apple TV.

I received my Apple TV developer kit about six weeks prior to the launch of the New Apple TV. I immediately began building a MythTV application for tvOS. The MythTV Backend has a REST API that provides a great way to access content and data. Things went pretty smoothly and the MythTV app for tvOS was in the App Store on launch day.

Thanks to the New Apple TV and the MythTV app for tvOS, it is now much easier to set up a MythTV system. For the backend you can use MythBuntu, a special build of Ubuntu that has MythTV baked in. Or you can set up a MythTV Backend on a Mac using these instructions. They may seem a bit daunting, but are mostly just commands you can cut and paste into Terminal. You'll also need a HDHomeRun. You don't need one of the new models. Mine is a dual tuner unit that is about 10 years old, pictured above. The older models can be found on eBay for around $50. For the Frontend, just use buy a new Apple TV and install the MythTV app. Now you have a TiVo-like DVR system and you can watch your recordings from any TV in your house.


The MythTV app for tvOS currently has the following features:
  • Recorded programs are listed and multiple episodes of the same show are grouped together. 
  • Top Shelf integration: quickly find and launch a show from the Apple TV home screen.
  • Scrubbing with snapshot thumbnails.
  • Fast-forward supports several speeds.
  • Watch content more quickly with 1.3x fast-forward (good for things like talk shows).
  • Easily skip commercials with 30-second jump forward and 8-second jump back.
  • Pick up where you left off. Playback progress is stored and synced across all your Apple TVs.
  • Delete shows when you are done watching them.
One feature that is not yet ready is the Program Guide. Until this is done you can use MythWeb, a web interface that runs on the MythTV Backend. It allows you to browse listing and manage schedules and recording rules. This works out pretty well because once schedules are set up (TiVo calls them "season passes"), the Backend pretty much runs on autopilot and doesn't need much maintenance.

As more content becomes available from streaming sources, "cutting the cable" becomes more attractive. One of the remaining barriers is recording and "time-shifting" local broadcasts. MythTV and the MythTV app for Apple TV fill this gap.

Apple TV apps can't be viewed in a web browser, but you can see screenshots below.







12 comments:

  1. There are so many people looking looking for something that just works. Im glad you have taken your skills and time to provide such a solution an the AppleTV platform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you have a site for support yet? i'm enjoying the app so far but would love to provide feedback. is there support in the works for skipping commericals using the flags provided by Myth?

    thanks for your great work

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a working mythtv setup and looking to migrate the frontend to something else. This looks great but wondering if you have thought about a support site and timeline for new features.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this from the apple store and it looks really good, did not disappoint. The most important thing (for me) missing are the ATSC closed captions. I cannot turn the volume too loud at night and not having CC prevents me from using the APP. Other than that, congrats for the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the CC need. I'm in the same boat. Just got my Apple TV today and this app was the first purchase. Two other items I would like to add to a wish list are Recording Group support (so we don't have to scroll through all of the kids shows), and video support (I have burned all of my DVDs and have them in my mythth interface. )

    The app is definitely a great start and a must have for us. Much easier for my wife that trying to use the Mac connected to the projector.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great app, are there any plans for commflag support for auto commercial skipping? This is hands down the best feature of MythTV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm unable to use your app successfully with my mythtv setup. It was working for a while but now when I try to play recordings they're choppy and unwatchable. VLC shows the same symptoms when I try to play recordings using it, however Infuse is able to play the recordings successfully. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to get your app working again as I'd much rather use your app to watch my recordings? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The skip ahead feature is now missing, it used to be there? How can I get this back? I used to be able to click the side of the touch pad to do this, but its now gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just reinstalled the app and the 30 second skip is back!!! Works like a champ, thanks again, this is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  11. Any chance that this app is still developed? If not then I'm really dissapointed since the price vs. developer commitment was not fair.

    ReplyDelete